- Mulch compost improves soil structure &
porosity, creating a better plant root
- It increases moisture infiltration &
permeability & reduces bulk density of heavy
soils – reducing erosion & runoff.
- It improves the moisture holding capacity of
light soils, reducing water loss & nutrient
leaching & improving moisture retention.
- Mulch provides nutrients.
- It improves the Cation Exchange Capacity
(CEC) of soils – improving their ability to
retain nutrients for plant use.
- Mulch supplies organic matter.
- It supplies beneficial microorganisms to
soils & assists in their proliferation.
- It encourages vigorous root growth.
- Soils amended with organic materials require
less irrigation and fewer fertilizers &
pesticides than depleted soils to achieve
optimal production & healthy plant life.